Today would have been my dad’s
birthday. In his honor I bake a cake each year. This year I chose this
yummy apple cake because this is the perfect season for a spiced apple
and sweet glazed simple apple cake that fits like your favorite sweater
or boots. It also makes the perfect dessert for any fall gathering,
church supper or just plain old comfort food for brunch that is sure to
bring a smile to everyone’s face. A little spicy and a little sweet, but
seriously comforting each and every bite.
GRAN’S APPLE CAKE
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 1/2 teaspoons apple pie spice
1 1/2 cups avocado oil
2 cups sugar
3 LARGE eggs, room temperature
2 teaspoons PURE vanilla extract
1 teaspoon FRESH lemon juice
3 medium apples, peeled and thinly sliced
1 cup chopped toasted walnuts
1/2 cup shredded coconut, (optional)
1 cup golden raisins
1/4 cup rum
- Preheat oven to 300°.
- In a small bowl pour rum over raisin and set aside.
- Spray bottom of a 10 inch spring form pan with non-stick cooking spray. I like my square shaped spring form pan.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, salt and apple pie spice. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat oil, sugar and eggs until pale and slightly thick, about 2 minutes.
- Beat in vanilla and lemon juice.
- Add dry ingredients; stirring just until moistened.
- Drain raisins well.
- Fold in apples, raisins, walnuts and coconut if using (batter will be thick).
- Transfer to prepared pan.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 55- 60 minutes.
- Cool cake in pan on rack.
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons FRESH lemon juice
- Whisk together the powdered sugar and lemon juice until well blended and smooth.
- Drizzle over cake.
NOTE: Japanese pears or crisp red pears work really nice in this cake also.
Post a Comment
Thanks for stopping by. Please leave your ingredients for this recipe we call life!