A couple years ago one of my favorite restaurants had a starter plate of Pork Belly Lollipops with sliced pears and gochujang caramel dipping sauce. I’ll tell you when you ate that it was like the scene in the deli with Meg Ryan from When Harry Met Sally because they were just that good! This recipe comes pretty close to being equally as good. Unfortunately, the picture could have been better 🙁 I guess I’ll just have to make them again.
PORK BELLY on CARAMELIZED PEARS adapted from So Delicious
When pork belly is cooked right it is so soft that it literally melts in your mouth. Add the perfect fruit and sauce, well you’re in heaven!
1 pound pork belly, thin slices
1/2 tablespoon avocado oil
FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 + 2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons Bragg’s liquid aminos
1/4 cup water
1 pear, sliced thin
2 tablespoons gochujang
1 heaping tablespoon brown sugar
¼ cup QUALITY brandy
- Heat the avocado oil and 1/2 tablespoon butter in a skillet and add the pork belly slices.
- Season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Add pork belly pieces fat side down.
- When the pork belly pieces start to sizzle, add the liquid aminos. or soy sauce
- Stir, cook for 1-2 minutes, then add the water.
- Cook until the pork belly is cooked through and the sauce reduces.
- Take another skillet and melt the remaining butter on high heat.
- Add the pear slices, gochujang, brown sugar, and cognac, whisking together.
- When the liquid starts to simmer, remove the pan from the flame and quickly (so the pears don’t absorb too much alcohol) light it using a long barbecue lighter.
- Cook for 2 more minutes, then set aside.
- Serve immediately drizzling extra sauce over top.