6 slices peppered bacon, prepared crisp, reserving grease
1/2 cup finely chopped green onions
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup buttermilk
3 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/2 cup COLD butter, diced
1 1/2 cups finely grated Gruyere
- Cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon pieces to drain on paper towels.
- Add green onions to bacon grease cooking until tender, remove from oil and drain on paper toweling.
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Line baking sheet with baking mat or parchment paper.
- Whisk together egg and buttermilk. Set aside. Reserve 2 tablespoons.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, garlic powder and crushed red pepper in a large mixing bowl, making a well in the center.
- Add buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture all at once, mixing just until combined.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Knead and fold dough 10-12 times until smooth.
- Roll dough to 1/2 inch thick.
- Use a 2-2 1/2 inch biscuit cutter.
- Place biscuits side by side on cookie sheet.
- Brush with reserved buttermilk mixture.
- Bake 15 minutes or until golden.
- Cool on wire racks.