BUTTERMILK FUDGE BROWNIE CAKES
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup water
1 cup butter, cut into pieces
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 teaspoons PURE vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease 13×9 inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl sift together the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt.
- In a 2 quart saucepan combine water, butter and cocoa powder bring it JUST to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- Add cocoa mixture to flour mixture, beating on medium until thoroughly combined.
- Add eggs, buttermilk and vanilla, beating 1 minute more. Your batter will be thin and that’s okay.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake 25-35 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
- Pour warm frosting over brownies, spreading evenly.
- Cool at least one hour before cutting into bars.
CHOCOLATE BUTTERMILK FROSTING
1/4 cup butter
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
3 tablespoons buttermilk
2 1/4 cups powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon PURE vanilla extract
1/4 cup chopped roasted walnuts or pecans, optional
- Combine the ingredients in a medium saucepan.
- Bring JUST to boiling.
- Remove from heat.
- Add powdered sugar and vanilla, beating until smooth.
- Topped with roasted nut of choice if desired.