I ran across an article about celebrity recipes and the one that stuck out to me was BETTY WHITE’S CHICKEN WINGS. They claim this recipe went viral before viral was a “thing”. Well, I LOVE Betty White, so I had to try them. 😀 I altered them very little. The biggest alteration was eliminating the “death to me” allergy ingredient of dry mustard. Hubby said in his opinion, it wasn’t even necessary. The other alterations I made were substituting Bragg’s liquid aminos for the soy sauce because it reduces the sodium A LOT and decreasing the water which made them stickier and in my opinion tastier! Anytime I make wings I start them in a buttermilk soak to plump them also. That said, these wings were AMAZING!
BETTY WHITE’S CHICKEN WINGS
3 pounds plump chicken wings
1/2 cup butter
1 quart buttermilk
1 cup Bragg’s Liquid Aminos
1 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup water
3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Arrange wings in shallow baking pan or 2 as necessary for a single layer.
- Pour buttermilk over top and refrigerate 2 hours.
- Drain off buttermilk and rinse wings. Let them drain while you prepare the marinade.
- Return wings to baking dish(es) in a single layer.
- In a large sauce pan combine the butter, liquid aminos, water, garlic powder and brown sugar whisking to combine until butter melts and sugar dissolves.
- Bring to a SLOW boil.
- Turn off heat and cool 15 minutes.
- Pour marinade over wings and refrigerate 2 hours.
- Remove pan from refrigerator and bring to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Bake 75-90 minutes depending on plumpness.