SOUR APPLE SLAW adapted from Michael Twitty
8 cups shredded green cabbage
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3 Granny Smith apples, julienned
1 bunch green green onions, sliced
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons PURE maple syrup
FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon FRESH chopped tarragon
1 tablespoon FRESH chopped Italian flat leaf parsley
- Toss cabbage and salt together.
- Let stand in a colander over a large bowl for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes submerge cabbage in COLD water. Drain and pat dry.
- Whisk vinegar, maple syrup, sugar, salt and pepper together.
- Toss cabbage, apple pieces, herbs and green onion slices together.
- Drizzle dressing over cabbage mix and toss well.
- Chill for several hours.
- Toss again before serving.