This is a one-pot Italian version of the Spanish Arroz con Pollo. Annatto powder is the spice responsible for the beautiful orange red color. Annatto power is is ground from Achitoe tree seeds AKA poor man’s saffron. If you can’t find it at your local grocer, try an Asian or Latin market.
ITALIAN CHICKEN & RICE
1 tablespoon avocado oil
4 chicken boneless and skinless breasts
FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 LARGE shallot, thinly sliced
2 cups long grain white rice
1/2 cup tomato sauce
2 1/2 cups chicken stock
1/2 teaspoon annatto powder OR a few threads of saffron
1 tablespoon FRESH chopped thyme
1 tablespoon flat leaf Italian Parsley
- Heat the oil in a dutch oven over medium high heat.
- GENEROUSLY season the chicken breasts FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper.
- Sear chicken 2 minutes per side.
- Set chicken aside on a plate.
- Add shallots to dutch oven, sautéing 2-3 minutes until softened.
- Stir in rice, toasting it 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in tomato sauce, chicken stock, annatto powder and generously season with
- FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper.
- Nestle chicken breasts into rice mixture.
- Cover and simmer 25-30 minutes, until the water is absorbed and the rice is cooked through.
- Let stand 10 minutes.
- FLUFF and serve.
NOTES: This can also be baked in a 350° oven for 1 hour.
Post a Comment
Thanks for stopping by. Please leave your ingredients for this recipe we call life!