Okay, this sounds like a strangely weird combination of ingredients, but guess what? They work together REALLY well! These go fast and are asked for often so indulge yourself and enjoy!
CHILI LIME CHICKEN WINGS
2 1/2 pounds whole chicken wings or thighs
1 cup PURE maple syrup
2/3 cup chili sauce
Juice of lime juice
FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper, to taste
2 teaspoons paprika
Neutral oil for frying
1 bunch green onions, sliced
- In a large sauce pan whisk together the maple syrup, chili sauce and lime juice.
- Bring to a SLOW boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer and cook 30-45 minutes until reduced and sticky thick.
- Combine the flour, paprika, salt and pepper in a ziplock bag.
- Add chicken pieces, tossing to coat, shaking off excess.
- Heat oil in dutch oven to 375°.
- Fry chicken pieces 6-8 minutes until cooked through. DO NOT CROWD THE PAN!!!!
- Drain chicken pieces on paper toweling.
- Transfer chicken to a large shallow baking dish and pour sauce over, turning chicken pieces to coat well.
- Garnish with green onions and lime wedges.
- Serve immediately.
NOTE: I often use a stick of butter or crisco and fry the chicken pieces like grams taught me – cooking on one side until the bleed and then turning them for the same amount of time on the other side.