SMASHED CUCUMBER SALAD adapted from Molly Yeh
Evidently smashing cucumbers is quite common in Asia. Oddly it provides a deliciously rustic presentation AND releases the excess moisture.
2 LARGE English cucumbers
2 LARGE green onions, sliced thin
FRESH ground sea salt and tri-color pepper
2 tablespoons Bragg’s liquid aminos
2-3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon crushed red chile flakes
Toasted sesame seeds and fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Peel strips down each cucumber and cut off ends.
- Place the cucumbers in a resealable plastic bag.
- Seal and use the palm of your hand to lightly smash the cucumbers.
- Take the cucumbers out of the bag and cut into 1-inch chunks.
- Add to a bowl and season to taste with FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper.
- Toss to coat.
- Combine the liquid aminos, vinegar, sesame oil, sugar and chile flakes in a medium bowl.
- Whisk well to dissolve the sugar.
- Add the cucumber chunks and green onions, toss to coat.
- Garnish with the toasted sesame seeds and cilantro.
NOTE: The recipe does NOT call for tomatoes, but I had a few that I threw in for color
Post a Comment
Thanks for stopping by. Please leave your ingredients for this recipe we call life!