To add a bit of an edgier flavor to carrots I use balsamic vinegar and then char them crisp. Flavored balsamic vinegars work well also. Tonight I used a pineapple coconut white balsamic vinegar.
BALSAMIC CHARRED GARLIC CARROTS
2 pounds carrots, sliced on the diagonal or smaller carrots halved lenghtwise
2 cloves garlic, minced or sliced paper thin
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon garlic oil (avocado or olive work well too)
FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Heat butter and oil in a non-stick skillet over medium high heat.
- Add carrots and garlic, stirring to coat well.
- Cover and simmer 5 minutes until carrots begin to soften.
- Uncover and continue to simmer until carrots begin to char.
- Add balsamic vinegar and stir to coat well.
- Cook 2-3 minutes more until carrots are charred, cooked through and most liquid is absorbed.