Your favorite pie crust recipe for a double crust
2 1/2 cups chopped FRESH red rhubarb
2 1/2 cups de-stemmed, washed and chopped strawberries
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon WONDRA flour
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
Juice of 1 small lemon
1/2 teaspoon ground QUALITY cinnamon
1 teaspoon PURE vanilla extract
3 tablespoons butter, cubed small
1 egg white beaten with 1 teaspoon water
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the rhubarb, strawberries, sugar, cornstarch, flour, lemon zest, lemon juice, cinnamon, and vanilla.
- Pour out into chilled crust.
- Dot the top of the filling with the butter.
- Brush edges of pie crust with egg white wash.
- Roll out the other piece of dough and place over filling.
- Crimp to seal edges.
- Slice several vents into top to allow steam to escape.
- Brush with egg white wash and garnish with large granule sugar.
bake for 15 minutes.
- Decrease temperature to 375° and bake for an additional 45 to 50 minutes, until the filling starts to bubble.
- I often like to cook the filling first if the rhubarb is especially tough, but be sure to allow filling to cool COMPLETELY before filling crust.
- Collar with foil for the first 30 minutes to prevent burning.