The starch was usually macaroni, but today many cooks often uses a wild rice or tater tots. The protein is usually a ground beef. The canned or frozen vegetable is usually peas or green beans or even a pea and carrot mix. The canned soup is the ingredient I have the most issue with and use my own soup substitutes, but cream of mushroom soup is the most popular among original cooks.
I really like using COSTCO rotisserie chickens for many things whether it’s a HOT DISH, chicken salad or just plain snacking. It really is a time saver for many dishes.
3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
2 carrots, cleaned and chopped
2 celery ribs, cleaned and thinly sliced
½ onion, sliced thin
½small fennel bulb, chopped
8 ounces mushrooms, sliced thin
¼ cup chopped tarragon
¼ cup chopped thyme
¼ cup chopped Italian flat leaf Parsley
½ cup frozen peas
½ cup frozen carrots
4 cups chicken stock
¼ cup Frank’s hot sauce
FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper
7 tablespoons butter, divided 4 +3
½ cup heavy cream
¼ cup WONDRA flour
FRESH grated nutmeg
1 bag frozen tater tots
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- In a large skillet melt 4 tablespoons of the butter.
- Add the carrots, celery, onion, fennel, tarragon and thyme, stirring over medium high heat until beginning to brown.
- Add the flour, stirring to mix.
- Sprinkle with nutmeg.
- Add chicken stock and hot sauce, bring to a SLOW boil, stirring 5-10 minutes until sauce is thickened.
- Reduce heat.
- Add the cream, blending well.
- Add the chicken pieces, carrots, peas and parsley.
- Adjust seasoning with FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper.
- Spread into a 9×13 baking dish.
- Wipe out the pan and add the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter.
- When butter is melted add the mushrooms and cook over high heat 5 minutes until browned and starting to caramelize.
- Stir in tarragon until well blended.
- Spread mushroom mixture over chicken mixture in baking dish.
- Spread tater tots in a single layer over top of the mushroom mixture.
- Bake for 45 minutes until bubbly, golden and tots are crisp.
- Immediately sprinkle tots with salt when removing from the oven.