HONEY CARAMEL MACADAMIA TART
1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
2 1/2 tablespoons water
1 large egg yolk
1/3 cup fragrant honey
1/4 cup dark molasses
1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
3 1/2 ounces heavy cream
3 tablespoons dark rum
1/2 cup chopped walnut
1 cup macadamia nuts, breaking half of them into small pieces
1/4 cup fine granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1½ teaspoons ground cloves
6 large egg yolks
- Add flour and 3/4 cup unsalted butter in a food processor, processing to a sand-like consistency.
- Add the one large egg yolk and water, processing again quickly.
- Pour out and quickly bring together to form a disc. Layer it between two pieces of baking paper.
- Rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven 400°.
- Roll the pastry out evenly and lay over a 10 inch loose-bottomed tart tin. NOTE: It is important that there are no gaps or breaks in the pastry anywhere or your filling will leak.
- Chill for 10 minutes.
- Line the inside of the tart tin with parchment paper.
- Fill with a baking chain, baking weights or dried beans and bake for about 25 minutes, removing the weights and parchment paper for the last five minutes – the pastry shell needs to pick up a hint of golden color.
- In a small saucepan whisk together the honey, molasses, stick of butter, cream and rum untill well blended and warm.
- Set aside to cool.
- Toss walnut pieces with macadamia nuts and both sugars with the ground cloves.
- Lightly whisk the 6 egg yolks and then whisk them into the cooled honey mix.
- Pour this over the nuts and sugar and blend well.
- Place the tart tin on a lined baking tray to catch any drips and pour the filling into the pastry case.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until well caramelized.
- Carefully remove the tart from the oven and cool for 20-30 minutes. NOTE: the filling will be very hot straight from the oven.
- Once cooled, use a sharp knife to cut into wedges and serve with whipped cream if you like.