1 pound COSTCO organic ground beef
1/2 pound sweet Italian sausage
1 medium Vidalia onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
1 6-ounce can tomato paste
1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
5 large Roma tomatoes, slice thin
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 tablespoon sugar
3/4 teaspoon fennel seed
2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil leaves
2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
Lasagna Noodles, prepared or oven ready**
- Brown ground beef, Italian sausage, onions and garlic. Drain fat.
- Add diced tomatoes, tomato paste and tomato sauce.
- Stir in sugar, salt, pepper, basil, Italian seasoning and fennel, mixing well.
- Lay tomato slices evenly on top. Cover.
- Simmer for 2 hours over low heat. Stir in tomato slices until well blended. At this time you can proceed to finish the lasagna or refrigerate the sauce until ready.
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 pound shredded mozzarella cheese
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together the Ricotta cheese, egg, nutmeg and parsley.
- Spray baking dish with PAM.
- Spread some of the meat sauce along the bottom. Top with lasagna noodles. Add a layer of the Ricotta cheese mixture. Sprinkle with some of the Parmesan and then the mozzarella cheese. Repeat two more times.
- Cover and bake 25 minutes.
- Uncover and bake another 25 minutes or until cheese is golden and starting to crisp.
- Let rest 10 minutes before cutting or serving.