Serves 4, adapted from Joanne at Eats Well with Others
2/3 cup barley
1 1/2 cups water
1/4 tsp salt
1 large Vidalia onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
1 large broccoli crown
1 yellow bell pepper
1 red bell pepper
1 chili pepper
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp basil
1 lb part-skim ricotta
1/4 cup cheddar cheese
1/4 cup mozzarella cheese
salt & pepper
- Cook the barley in the water and salt until tender.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Quarter onions. Mince garlic. Wash and chop mushrooms and broccoli into bite side pieces. Wash the peppers, core them, and cut them into small dice. Mince the chili pepper.
- Mix the ricotta with the egg.
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat. Saute the garlic, onions, broccoli and peppers until soft.
- Add mushrooms and continue cooking just until mushrooms are slightly sauteed. Add salt along the way. Salt at the beginning and at the end and at every step in-between. Just a little bit each time. It brings out the best flavor in things.
- Add the basil, oregano, and white pepper.
- Mix together the barley, onion, mushroom & pepper mix with the ricotta & egg mix. Spread into an 11x7 pan. Sprinkle with the cheeses.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes or until the egg is set and cheese has melted.
- Let stand for 5 minutes to set. Cut and eat.
Post a Comment
Thanks for stopping by. Please leave your ingredients for this recipe we call life!