This recipe came from my niece’s, mother’s mother who I never met. This recipe was also written so simplistically that it left a lot to the imagination! I made it as written (with interpretation) the first time. The next time I wrote out new directions and adapted the ingredients to our liking.
NONA’S TOFFEE BARS (as written)
1 c. butter
1 c. brown sugar
1/2 t. vanilla
1 egg yolk
2 c. flour
1 Giant Hershey Bar
– Nuts as topping
- Spread on cookie sheet – cook – cool – melt bar and spread on bars – cover w/ nuts – slice
NONA’S TOFFEE BARS (adjusted)
1 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon PURE vanilla
1 LARGE egg yolk
2 cups flour, leveled
1 Giant + 1 regular size Hershey Bar
1/2 cup chopped honey roasted peanuts
1/2 cup chopped almonds or pecans
1/3 cup broken stick pretzels
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Melt butter in large skillet.
- Add brown sugar and whisk until dissolved.
- Add egg yolk and vanilla, blending well.
- Gradually add flour until well blended.
- Using an offset spatula spread mixture onto a small cookie sheet.
- Bake 15 minutes.
- Melt chocolate in microwave for 1 minute, stir and melt 10 more seconds at a time until smooth.
- Immediately spread chocolate on top of the toffee layer and spread even with an offset spatula.
- Immediately sprinkle with nuts and pretzels, pressing down slightly.
- Cool in fridge another 15 minutes.
- Slice and serve.
Post a Comment
Thanks for stopping by. Please leave your ingredients for this recipe we call life!