TUSCAN CHICKEN VEGGIE STEW with CHEESY SCALLION SODA BREAD
TUSCAN CHICKEN VEGGIE STEW
1 red onion, chopped small
4-6 cloves garlic, FINELY minced
1/4-1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/2 teaspoon FRESH ground black pepper
1/4 cup avocado oil
3 celery heart ribs, FINELY diced
2 carrots, FINELY diced
1 red bell pepper, chopped small
2 tablespoons QUALITY tomato paste
FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper, to taste
1 bunch Italian flat leaf parsley, chopped
2 tablespoons FRESH chopped thyme leaves
2 tablespoons FRESH chopped rosemary leaves (optional)
4 cups chicken stock**
4 cups diced rotisserie chicken pieces
1-2 cans cannellini beans, drained WELL
1 can stewed tomatoes
1 cup Arborio rice
- Heat avocado oil over medium heat in a large cast iron saute pan or enamel covered cast iron.
- Add onions, red pepper, garlic and black pepper and stir 2-3 minutes.
- Add celery, carrots, bell pepper and tomato paste.
- Season generously and saute 4-5 minutes.
- Add herbs, stock tomatoes and cannellini beans.
- Simmer at least 45 minutes to an hour. It tastes better the longer it simmers. :)
- 45 minutes before serving add chicken pieces and rice, stirring to combine.
- Simmer until rice is tender.
- I like to use homemade chicken tomato bone broth from the end of the garden season.
- Because it tastes so much better the longer it simmers, it makes a WONDERFUL slow cooker dish.
CHEESY SCALLION SODA BREAD
3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon FRESH ground black pepper
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon FRESH ground sea salt
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons butter, softened
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1 large bunch green onions, halved and sliced thin
1 cup heavy cream
1/4-1/3 WHOLE milk, depending on consistency
1 LARGE egg
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Sift together the dry ingredients.
- Cut in softened butter.
- Add cheeses and mix until crumbly.
- Add onion pieces and mix until well distributed.
- Whisk egg into whole milk and heavy cream.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, mixing dough just until it comes together.
- Form into a LARGE round or 4 small rounds.
- Transfer to baking sheet lined with a SILPAT.
- Slice an X into the tops for venting.
- Bake 1 hour.
- Let cool 15-30 minutes before serving. The centers will continue baking during the cooling time.
- If making into smaller rounds or roll size, adjust the baking time accordingly. For 4 rounds I bake 45 minutes. For 8 rolls I bake 25-30 minutes.
This meal is a
Post a Comment
Thanks for stopping by. Please leave your ingredients for this recipe we call life!