I needed a birthday cake for a friend's birthday today. SHHHH!!!! it's a secret for tomorrow. Not a BIG party or anything, but just a little surprise. She manages a sports bar and we've arranged for a dozen or so friends to pop in for a little get together. In case you hadn't guessed, her favorite fruit is strawberry which makes for a very pretty cake.
I found this adorable little pedestal for part of her present. It'll work for her small personal cake or for a soap holder or ???? whatever she chooses. We ate this cake. What? It had to be taste tested. I baked her a fresh one as well as the same recipe as a sheet cake for easy cutting with the group.
2 cups white sugar
1 small package (3 ounce) strawberry gelatin
1 cup butter, softened
3 JUMBO eggs
2 ¾ cup cake flour
2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
1 cup WHOLE milk
1 tablespoon PURE vanilla extract
½ cup strawberry puree (use FRESH or unsweetened frozen strawberries that have been thawed and drained of excess moisture)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray three 9 inch round cake pans with baking spray. (I got creative with this one because it was for a birthday present fitting on a specific size pedestal)
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter, sugar and dry strawberry gelatin until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs one at a time, mixing well after each egg.
- Add puree and vanilla, blending well.
- Combine flour and baking powder.
- Add the flour and milk alternately to the batter beginning with flour and ending with flour.
- Pour into prepared pans.
- Bounce pans to remove air bubbles.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. DO NOT OVER BAKE!!
- Cook pans on a wire cooling rack for 8-10 minutes.
- Turn cake out onto a cooling rack and allow to cool completely before icing.
½ cup butter, softened
¼ cup strawberry puree
3 1/4-3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Using an electric mixer, cream all ingredients together until smooth.
- Frost, cover and chill until serving.
NOTE: Change the flavor by changing the gelatin and fruit. Peach and cherry work really well.