This is a wonderful hearty, savory yet tangy breakfast pie.
1 pie dough – homemade or store bought
4-5 leftover buttermilk biscuits, broken into pieces
1 LARGE bunch green onions, chopped
1/3 cup SMALL chopped red onion
12 ounces bacon, diced and cooked crumbly
6 LARGE eggs, beaten
1 cup half and half
FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper
1 teaspoon red pepper
4 ounces cream cheese, softened at room temperature
1/2 cup FINELY grate pepper jack cheese
3 tablespoons tart cherry or pepper jelly
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Roll pie dough into a large 12-13 inch round.
- Place pie dough into a 10 inch pie plate, trim and crimp edges.
- Prick bottom with a fork once or twice.
- Parbake pie shell 8-10 minutes.
- Scatter broken biscuit pieces into the bottom of the pie shell.
- Sprinkle green onions over biscuits followed by the bacon pieces.
- In a medium mixing bowl cream the cream cheese.
- Whisk together the eggs, half and half, FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper and red pepper flakes.
- Pour into cream cheese and mix together well.
- Pour into the pie shell making sure NOT to fill over the bottom of the crimped edge of the pie.
- Sprinkle with the pepper jack cheese.
- Microwave the jelly for 30 seconds.
- Quickly spread the jelly over top, using a spatula to spread evenly.
- Bake 20 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 375°.
- Turn pie pan 180 degrees.
- Bake another 10-15 minutes until the top is golden and egg mixture is set firm.
- Let cool slightly before slicing and serving.