ROMAN CHICKEN adapted from GIADA
4 skinless chicken breast halves, sliced in half so you have 4 thin chicken steaks
rice flour, for dredging
FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper
2 tablespoons avocado oil
2 tablespoons butter
1 each red, orange and yellow mini peppers, sliced
1 SMALL bunch green onions, sliced
3 ounces prosciutto, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
15-ounce can petite diced tomatoes
1/2 cup CRISP white wine
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
1 teaspoon fresh oregano leaves
1/2 cup chicken stock
2 tablespoons capers (optional)
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Generously season the chicken with FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper.
- In a heavy, large skillet, heat oil and butter over medium heat.
- When hot, add chicken breast JUST until browned on both sides.
- Remove chicken from the pan and set aside.
- Keeping the same pan over medium heat, add the onions, peppers and prosciutto sautéing until the peppers have browned and the prosciutto is crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, wine, and herbs, blending and making sure to scrape the browned bits off the bottom of the pan.
- Add chicken stock, and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, about 10 minutes.
- Return chicken to pan, turning to coat, simmering a few minutes to heat completely through.
- Add the capers (if using) and the parsley, stirring to combine.
- Serve with buttered fettuccine immediately.