This recipe is for recipe experiment night. I was looking
for a tasty alternative that I could also use as leftovers for my
lunches. I am happy to report that it was a success!
FRENCH ONION PASTA BAKE
6 ounces penne pasta
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon avocado oil
8 ounces button mushrooms, 1/4 inch slices
1 large shallot, halved and sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons Better than Chicken bouillon
4 ounces heavy cream
2 tablespoons Marsala Wine
3-4 FRESH thyme sprigs
3/4 cup seasoned croutons, crushed
4 ounces shredded Mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Spray baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Prepare pasta al dente.
- Drain pasta WELL and set aside.
- In a large skillet melt butter and avocado oil.
- Add mushrooms, onions and garlic. Season with FRESH ground salt and pepper, stirring and cooking 10-12 minutes until caramelized and deep brown.
- Whisk together the Marsala wine, cream, two-thirds of the thyme, and the bouillon base. Add to the mushroom mixture stirring and blending together until heated through.
- Fold in the pasta and then half the cheese.
- Spread into prepared baking dish.
- Top with remaining cheese and crushed croutons.
- Bake 10-15 minutes until cheese is melted and golden.
- Top with remaining thyme.
NOTE: Penne pasta works best, but any other similar sized pasta would work well too.