FRENCH ONION CHICKEN
Adapted from Eliza Winograd at Marley Spoon
1/2 cup chicken stock
1 tablespoon cream sherry
3/4 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 tablespoons FRESH chopped thyme
1/2 cup shredded Fontina cheese
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium yellow onion, chopped small or sliced thin
1 + 1 + 1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon avocado oil
1 teaspoon sugar
FRESH ground sea salt & black pepper
apple cider vinegar
- Heat 1 tablespoon each of butter and oil in a medium ovenproof skillet over medium-high.
- Add onions and sprinkle with sugar, and a pinch each of salt and pepper.
- Add garlic after 10 minutes.
- Cook, stirring, until well browned, scraping up any browned bits for 12–15 minutes.
- Transfer onions to a bowl. Wipe out skillet.
- Preheat broiler with top rack 6 inches from heat source. Add 1 tablespoon of butter to skillet.
- Generously season chicken breasts with FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper.
- Add to sizzling skillet and sear 2-3 minutes on both sides. Transfer chicken to broiler proof skillet.
- Return onions to the skillet you just cooked the chicken in. Add remaining 1 tablespoon of butter to skillet.
- Add chicken stock, cream sherry and chopped thyme and bring to a simmer.
- Add onions and garlic back into sauce while simmering to desired thickness.
- Pour sauce over chicken.
- Top with onion mixture and cheese.
- Transfer skillet to top oven rack and broil until cheese is melted and golden brown, 2–4 minutes.
Post a Comment
Thanks for stopping by. Please leave your ingredients for this recipe we call life!