Fortunately, I was watching a Molly Yeh episode of Girl Meets Farm recently and it just happened to be on sides for Thanksgiving. She made the most amazing Brussels Sprouts Casserole, an absolutely wonderful alternative to the tired old Green Bean Casserole and better yet it is ALL from scratch, well except the French’s Crispy Fried Onions – no canned goods involved!
I only made a couple changes – like trading shallots for the leeks and adding in some crunchy bacon, but nothing that really affected the outcome. I altered her directions to my liking also.
BRUSSELS SPROUT CASSEROLE
2 teaspoons avocado oil
1/2 pound bacon, diced
2 shallots, sliced thin
FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper
2 pounds Brussels Sprouts, trimmed, halved or quartered as necessary
4 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoons FRESH thyme leaves, chopped
3 cloves garlic, FINELY minced
3 tablespoons WONDRA flour
2 cups homemade chicken broth
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup QUALITY Parmesan cheese
ZEST from 1 Meyer lemon
2 cups crispy onions
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Cook bacon pieces crisp in large saute pan.
- Remove bacon to drain on paper toweling with a slotted spoon.
- Add avocado oil to saute pan.
- Add shallots, sauteing 2-3 minutes until beginning to caramelize.
- Add garlic and Brussels sprouts, sauteing 6-7 minutes until edges of Brussels sprouts are brown.
- Season generously with FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper.
- Add thyme, and saute a bit longer until fragrant.
- In a separate sauce pan melt butter.
- Whisk in flour, cooking until golden.
- Alternately add chicken broth and cream, stirring constantly until begins to thicken.
- Add cheese and lemon zest.
- Adjust seasoning.
- Fold together the sauce and Brussels sprouts.
- Top with crispy onions.
- Bake 20-25 minutes until bubbly.
Post a Comment
Thanks for stopping by. Please leave your ingredients for this recipe we call life!