Oh my this is my new favorite soup! I could eat this EVERY day!
RUSSIAN CABBAGE SOUP adapted from The Sophisticated Cavemen serves 8
1/4 cup avocado oil
1 LARGE onion, diced
4 carrots, halved lengthwise and sliced
3 celery ribs, halved lengthwise and sliced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 (6 ounce) can of tomato paste
1 SMALL head of cabbage, large chopped
1 pound turnips, diced
8 cups homemade chicken stock
1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds (optional)
FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper, to taste
1 bay leaf
1/4-1/2 cup apple cider vinegar, to taste
1 1/2 cups chopped rotisserie chicken pieces
2 tablespoons FRESH Tarragon, chopped
2 tablespoons FRESH Parsley, chopped
- Heat the avocado oil in dutch oven over medium high heat.
- Add the onions, carrots, and celery and saute 5-7 minutes until onions are translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook 30 seconds or so until fragrant.
- Stir in the tomato paste and cook 3-4 minutes until it starts to brown.
- GENEROUSLY season with FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper.
- Add the cabbage and cook until it is slightly tender, about 5-6 minutes.
- Add the turnips and pour in the stock.
- Season again with the caraway seeds, salt, pepper, and bay leaf and bring to a SLOW boil.
- Reduce the heat to LOW, cover, and simmer until the cabbage and turnips are tender, about 1 hour.
- Remove the bay leaf.
- Add chicken pieces (see note), stirring well.
- Stir in apple cider vinegar.
- Cover and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in the the fresh tarragon and parsley.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
NOTE: for a different flavor profile substitute 1 pound of browned ground beef.
Post a Comment
Thanks for stopping by. Please leave your ingredients for this recipe we call life!