6 medium zucchini or 3 LARGE, depending on type
2 tablespoons avocado oil
FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper
1 3/4 pounds QUALITY ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
1 poblano chile pepper, seeded and chopped small
1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
3 tablespoons QUALITY tomato paste
1 cup tomato sauce
3/4 cup chicken stock
1 handful cilantro, chopped
1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
Sour cream, for garnish
Green onions, chopped for garnish
Chopped Cilantro, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Cover baking sheet with foil or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Wash zucchini and cut off ends.
- Cut zucchini in half and remove seeds to hollow out centers.
- Spread oil on zucchini and sprinkle with FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper.
- Place zucchini on baking sheet. Set aside while you prepare chili.
- Heat oil in large cast iron skillet.
- Add ground beef to brown. Drain off excess grease.
- Add onions, chili powder, cumin, cayenne, garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste. Cook 4-5 minutes until onions soften.
- Whisk together tomato paste, chicken stock and tomato sauce.
- Add tomato mixture to meat, stirring to combine and cooking 8-10 minutes until VERY thick.
- Stir in cilantro.
- Fill zucchini boats with chili and sprinkle with cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake 15-20 minutes.
- Uncover and bake 10-15 minutes more until cheese is golden.
- Top with sour cream, green onions and cilantro.