6 slices thick bacon, diced, reserve a few pieces for garnish
1 small onion, FINELY diced
1 can white shoepeg kernel corn
2 cups yellow cornmeal
1 cup flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
1 1/4 cups finely grated sharp cheddar cheese, divided, reserve a small amount for garnish
2 cups buttermilk
2 LARGE eggs
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Brown bacon pieces in a deep 10 inch cast iron pan until crisp.
- Remove bacon with a slotted spoon to paper toweling.
- Reserve all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon grease in a small bowl, leaving the 2 tablespoons in the skillet.
- Add onion and corn, cooking until tender for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove corn and onions from pan.
- Add reserved bacon dripping back to the skillet.
- Whisk together the cornmeal, flour, salt, sugar and baking powder in a large bowl.
- Add 1 cup of the cheese.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, eggs and any remaining drippings.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients.
- Add buttermilk mixture to the well, stirring JUST until combined.
- Sprinkle a thin layer of the cornmeal in the skillet.
- Pour batter into skillet and top with bacon and remaining cheese.
- Bake 25-30 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
- Garnish with a few bacon pieces.
- Serve with butter.
Post a Comment
Thanks for stopping by. Please leave your ingredients for this recipe we call life!