4 cups water
1/2 cup kosher salt
1/4 cup sugar
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon FRESH ground black pepper
1 bunch FRESH thyme
4 cups ice
4 pounds chicken pieces
- Whisk together the water, salt, sugar, lemon halves, garlic, black pepper and thyme in a large stockpot.
- Bring to SLOW boil.
- Turn off heat and add ice.
- Allow to cool.
- Add chicken pieces.
- Refrigerate AT LEAST 8 hours or overnight.
- Drain chicken and pat dry with paper towels.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Lightly spray a rack with non-stick cooking spray and place on baking sheet.
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon onion powder
FRESH ground black pepper
2 cups WHOLE buttermilk
2 LARGE eggs
- In a shallow dish whisk together the flour, garlic salt, onion powder and black pepper.
- Whisk together the buttermilk and eggs in a second bowl.
- Heat oil in a deep cast iron pan over medium-high heat.
- Dredge chicken pieces in flour mixture shaking off excess.
- Then dredge in egg mixture followed by the flour mixture again.
- Fry in oil for 3-4 minutes per side until golden and crispy. Grams always told me to put the chicken in the HOT oil and leave it alone until it bleeds then flip it!
- Place on prepared rack.
- Bake 10-15 minutes until centers are cooked through.