2¼ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1⅔ cups sugar, divided
2 egg yolks
1 teaspoon PURE vanilla extract
1+ 1 teaspoon QUALITY ground cinnamon
1 cup prepared apple butter
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line baking sheets with silpats or parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, cream of tartar, baking powder, baking soda, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and salt.
In a large mixing bowl, combine butter and ⅔ cup sugar. Beat at high speed with a mixer until light and creamy.
- Add egg yolks and vanilla extract, beating until combined.
- Add flour mixture, beating until incorporated.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining 1 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon, stirring to blend.
Using a levered 2-teaspoon scoop, drop dough into cinnamon-sugar mixture, tossing to coat.
- Place dough balls 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets.
- Using your thumb or the back of a rounded measuring spoon, press an indentation into the center of each dough ball.
- Fill each indentation with ½ teaspoon apple butter.
- Bake for 7 minutes.
- Remove pans from oven, and fill each indentation with an additional ½ teaspoon apple butter.
- Bake another 6-8 minutes until edges of cookies are golden brown.
- Transfer cookies to wire cooling racks, and let cool completely.
- Store in a single layer in airtight containers, and refrigerate for up to a day.