I have seen a bunch of recipes in old recipe files and brand name pamphlets for canned chicken. I even found one that must have come from a lunch lady’s files as it called for 20 cups of cooked chicken, 24 ounces of spaghetti noodles… honestly I quit reading at that point since I knew it would never for for the 2 of us and was giving me a headache to try and convert it to serve 2! I ended up taking the parts I liked from each recipe AND my memories to make my new one!
8 ounces uncooked spaghetti, broken in half
4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
3 tablespoons butter
1 LARGE stalk celery, sliced thin
1 shallot, diced
1 small (mini) red pepper, chopped
3 tablespoons Wondra flour
3/4 cup chicken broth
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
1 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon Cream Sherry
2-3 sprigs thyme, leaves only
3/4 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 cup grated Mozzarella
FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
- Generously season chicken pieces and sear 3-4 minutes per side in hot oil until cooked through and golden brown.
- Remove chicken and small dice OR shred. Set Aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray baking dish with non-stick baking spray.
- Prepare noodles per package directions.
- Add butter to skillet.
- When butter is sizzling add celery, shallots and peppers to skillet and saute 2-3 minutes.
- Add flour to skillet, stirring to coat until golden.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and stir in the heavy cream, apple cider vinegar, cream sherry and thyme leaves. Simmer until starting to thicken and slightly reduced.
- Stir in cheeses, reserving a small amount for garnishing.
- Fold in spaghetti noodles and chicken pieces.
- Season to taste.
- Transfer to baking dish.
- Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake 20 minutes until heated through and all cheese is melted.