2 large cans crushed pineapple DO NOT DRAIN
1 cup sugar
2 1/2 cups Ritz cracker crumbs* (see note)
6 tablespoons butter, melted
2 cups grated cheddar cheese
1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a small saucepan combine pineapple, juice and sugar, whisking until sugar is dissolved and pineapple is heated through. Remove from heat. Set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl use a fork to combine cracker crumbs and melted butter until well combined. Set aside.
- In baking dish or individual ramekins evenly layer the pineapple mixture.
- Top that with an even layer of the cracker crumb mixture.
- Evenly top with shredded cheese.
- Top with nuts, if using.
- Bake uncovered 20 minutes until bubbly and golden brown.