Now to be clear the definition of soup is “a liquid food especially with a meat, fish, or vegetable stock as a base and often containing pieces of solid food” while the definition of bisque is “ a cream soup of pureed vegetables“. So, to be a true bisque you really need to puree ALL the vegetables.
VEGGIE CHEDDAR SOUP/BISQUE
2 cups chopped broccoli
1 cup chopped carrots
1 bunch green onions, minced
1 clove garlic, finely minced
2 teaspoons FRESH ground sea salt
1/2 teaspoon celery salt
1 teaspoon FRESH ground black pepper
5 cups chicken broth
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- Bring broth to a boil.
- Add sea salt, celery salt, black pepper and red pepper if using.
- Add broccoli, carrots and onions.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Remove vegetables and puree with food processor if bisque is your ultimate goal.
- Stir in whipping cream and cheese until smooth.
- Add vegetable puree back in, blending until mixed well.
- Simmer another 30 minutes.