2 slices bacon, diced
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 shallot halved and sliced thin
1 small head red cabbage, cored and sliced 1/2 inch thick
3/4 cup Marsala wine
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup frozen orange juice concentrate
1 1/2 tablespoons PACKED brown sugar
FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and sliced into 1/4 inch pieces
3 tablespoons FRESH minced Parsley
- Brown bacon pieces and drain.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in Saute pan over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook 5 or so minutes until golden.
- Stir in cabbage pieces, wine, orange juice concentrate, vinegars, brown sugar, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low and simmer 10-15 minutes until tender.
- Stir in apple and simmer uncovered until cabbage is tender and liquid is syrupy, 10 minutes more.
- Remove from heat, stir in Parsley, bacon pieces and remaining butter.
- Season to taste and serve immediately.