This is an easy and delicious side dish which only requires a few minutes of actual hands-on time.
4 tablespoons butter
1 medium acorn squash, (about 1 1/2 pounds)
4 tablespoons light-brown sugar
Coarse salt and ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Generously butter a rimmed baking sheet.
- Halve squash crosswise. Scoop out seeds; discard. Slice a small piece off bottom of each squash half just enough to level.
- Set squash halves, scooped sides down, on prepared sheet.
- Bake until golden, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Turn squash; prick insides all over with a fork.
- Add 2 tablespoons butter, coating all the inside surfaces.
- Top with brown sugar to each half and season with salt and pepper.
- Continue to bake until flesh is easily pierced with the tip of a paring knife, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with FRESH grated nutmeg.
- Serve warm.