I think I found the original recipe on facebook. It was great, but I HAD to adapt it to my family and now we think it’s even better! These are cheesy, meat filled egg bombs that are a HUGE hit with EVERYONE young and old alike.
The BEST part is that they can be prepared in advance and then popped into the oven when you need them.
flour, for dusting
SALSA, for finishing
1/2 pound diced bacon pieces, prepared to desired crispness (we like them JUST crisp and still a little chewy)
1/2 pound diced country ham pieces
4 LARGE eggs
2 tablespoons WHOLE milk
FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper, to taste
8 ounces shredded Taco blend cheese
1 can green chiles, drained WELL
1/4 cup roasted red peppers, diced
- In a medium bowl combine eggs, milk, salt, and pepper, whisking until completely combined.
- Spray a skillet with non-stick cooking spray and heat skillet over medium heat.
- Add the egg mixture and stir occasionally until the eggs are scrambled, and no liquid is left in the pan, about 3-4 minutes. DO NOT cook until they are completely dry, or they will be very dry in the breakfast bomb.
- Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Place dinner rolls on a microwave safe plate and microwave on defrost for about 3-4 minutes (or until dough is no longer frozen, but NOT cooked).
- Butter a 9″x9″ baking pan and set aside.
- Lightly flour your counter top.
- Toss 1 piece of dough in flour and flatten into disc stretching dough into a 3-4 inch circle.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of cheese over the dough and press into the dough with the palm of your hand.
- Top with 1 tablespoon eggs, 1 tablespoon bacon, 1/2 teaspoon green chiles and 1/2 teaspoon red peppers onto the center of the dough round. Pull the top and bottom edges of the dough together and then add the left and right edges. Pinch the dough together to create a ball. If the ball won’t seal, tap your finger tips into the flour and then crimp the seal together. Place dough ball in prepared dish. Repeat until all breakfast bombs are in the dish.
- Bake 30-35 minutes. OR Spray a piece of plastic wrap with non-stick spray, place the wrap sprayed side down on the breakfast bombs.refrigerate until the next day.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Remove baking dish from the refrigerator, remove plastic wrap.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until the tops are golden brown and the breakfast bombs are no longer doughy. You can pull one of the edge pieces out and if it is still doughy cook it for another 5 minutes.
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- In a small bowl melt butter in the microwave, about 30 seconds or until butter is melted.
- Whisk in garlic powder, parsley and salt.
- Remove breakfast bombs from the oven.
- Brush them with melted butter mixture.
- Serve and enjoy!