BLUEBERRY BANANA MAPLE MUFFINS slightly adapted from Brandi Milloy
yields 18 muffins
½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
²⁄³ cups PURE maple syrup
1 LARGE egg, room temperature
2 small VERY RIPE bananas, mashed
¹⁄³ cup WHOLE milk
1 teaspoon PURE vanilla extract
2 cups sifted cake flour
1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
Pinch of sea salt
2 cups SMALL WILD blueberries
¼ cup FINELY chopped walnuts
¼ cup DARK brown sugar, for topping
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line muffin tin with cupcake liners or grease tins well.
- In an electric mixer bowl, cream together the butter and maple syrup.
- Add egg, mashed banana, milk and vanilla extract, mixing until well blended.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- If you are using fresh blueberries add the flour mixture to the banana mixture and mix just until combined.
- Then FOLD in blueberries.
- If you are using frozen blueberries, add 3/4 of the flour mixture to the banana mixture and mix. Then add your frozen blueberries to the remaining flour mixture and toss. This will keep the frozen blueberries from sinking to the bottom of the muffins.
- Scoop batter into muffin tins until they’re about ¾ of the way full.
- Whisk together the brown sugar and walnuts.
- Top with a generous sprinkle of the brown sugar nut mix.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffin comes out clean.
- Cool COMPLETELY on wire rack.