It was an episode of Junk Food Flip that inspired this dish for us. Bobby Deen was making a piece of fried chicken for a sandwich and to lessen the fat and carbohydrates he used a rice flour and then only the egg whites whisked with hot sauce. It looked and sounded so good that I just had to try something similar.
I was also seeing these blooming potatoes all over Facebook and wondered what they were all about so had to give it a try too - only seemed reasonable with an experimental meal. I used 1 really LARGE potato for the both of us and then split in half after the baking.
PAN SEARED CHICKEN with CHILE LIME GRAVY
& THREE CHEESE BLOOMING POTATO & SWEET and SOUR TOMATOES4 chicken steaks (think cut breasts)
1/3 cup rice flour
2 tablespoons coconut flour
2 egg whites
2 tablespoons Frank's Chile Lime Hot Sauce
fresh ground Salt & Pepper, to taste
1-3 tablespoons butter**
- Whisk together the flours in a shallow dish for dredging.
- Whisk egg whites and Frank's Chile Lime Hot Sauce in another shallow dish.
- Heat pan with butter or oil over medium high.
- Pat dry chicken breasts.
- Generously salt and pepper each breast.
- Dredge each breast in flour mixture, then egg mixture and then flour mixture again shaking off the excess.
- Place chicken in heated pan searing the first side for about 5 minutes.
- Turn chicken and sear other side until cooked through.
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons rice flour
1 small can green chile sauce
1/2 cup chicken broth
2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Melt butter over medium high heat.
- Whisk in rice flour until smooth and golden.
- Add chicken broth and green chile sauce alternately, whisking until well blended.
- Bring to a SLOW boil, backing off to a simmer as soon as it begins to boil.
- Add heavy cream whisking until well blended and smooth.
1 potato per person
salt and pepper
grated medium cheddar
grated smoke Gruyere
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Cut the top off of the potatoes.
- Use a small, thin, flexible knife to cut rings around the inside of the potato.
- Flip the potato over and make cuts all the way around the potato, leaving a small space at the top uncut. I also put my thumb on the top of the potato and made the cuts around it leaving a small strip of uncut skin. These cuts go all the way through to the center of the potato.
- Carefully flip the potato back over and place in baking dish.
- Brush the whole potato with avocado oil and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake for 30 minutes of baking.
- Pour melted butter into potatoes and brush all around the top.
- Sprinkle with more sea salt. Return to the oven for an additional 30 minutes.
- Add cheeses and return them to the oven and bake for an additional 5 minutes to melt and toast the cheese.
1 box cherry tomatoes, halved or cut into thirds if they are large
fresh ground salt & pepper, taste
1 tablespoon sugar
splash avocado oil
1 tablespoon STAR golden balsamic vinegar
- Toss tomatoes with all the ingredients.