3 cups egg noodles
1 tablespoon avocado oil
1 small onion (sweet or red), minced
1 small red pepper, diced small
1 pound quality ground chuck*
1 can tomato sauce
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon Colorado Plateau Citrus Pepper**
1 teaspoon sea salt
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup sour cream (NOT low fat)
1 cup grated sharp white cheddar
- Preheat oven 350°.
- Grease 9x9 baking dish.
- Prepare egg noodles in salted water just short of al dente - they will cook more in the oven. Drain and set aside.
- Heat avocado oil to medium high. Add onions and bell peppers, cooking until soft - about 4-5 minutes.
- Add beef and cook until completely crumbled and the pink is gone - about 5 minutes more. The original recipe did NOT call for draining the fat, but I find it works so much better if you do.
- Return meat to pan after draining. Add tomato sauce, sugar, salt and pepper. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Mix together the cream cheese and sour cream until smooth. Fold in noodles.
- Layer half the meat mixture into the baking dish.
- Top with the egg and cheese mixture and spread smooth.
- Spread the remaining meat mixture on noodle layer.
- Top with grated cheese.
- Bake 25-30 minutes.
- Cool 10 minutes before serving!
*I use a grass fed from the butcher and it does make a difference. You end up with more meat, less fat and it breaks apart much more smoothly.
**Plain Black pepper works just fine, but we like a little oomph.