HOLIDAY FRENCH TOAST
8 slice sourdough sandwich
6 large eggs
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup whole milk
1 tablespoon PURE vanilla extract
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
2-4 tablespoons butter
8 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons REAL maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 475°.
- Trim (optional) and toast bread.
- Place 2 tablespoons of the butter on a jelly roll pan and place in oven to melt. When melted use a pastry brush to make sure the entire surface is well coated.
- Whisk together the eggs until smooth.
- Add the whipping cream and milk, whisking again until smooth.
- Add vanilla, lemon juice and salt, whisking again until well blended.
- Pour into a shallow dish.
- Dip each piece of toast into egg mixture, coating both sides well.
- Place toasts on jelly roll pan.
- Bake for 8 minutes.
- In a small mixing bowl use a fork to mix together the brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and maple syrup until your consistency is wet sand.
- Remove pan from oven and flip each piece of toast. At this time add more butter if necessary.
- Sprinkle sugar mixture over toast pieces and return to the oven for 6 more minutes or until sugar is deep brown and bubbling.
- Let cool for 2 minutes.
- Top with butter and maple syrup.
|Sprinkle with sugar mixture just after you flip the pieces.|
|Notice all the beautiful caramelizing bubbles!|
*The original recipe called for "hearty white" bread, but we prefer the sourdough flavor.
**The original recipe called for 1/4 cup vegetable oil, but I changed it to butter for flavor preference.