BRAISED CHICKEN & MARINATED PEACHES
1 tablespoon avocado oil
1 ounce prosciutto, thinly sliced into strips
2 1/2 pounds boneless chicken thighs OR 3 pounds bone in skin on chicken thighs
Fresh ground sea salt and black pepper
1 cup thinly sliced shallots
3-5 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons Wondra flour
3 cups Marinated Peaches, drained (reserve 3 tablespoons of the marinade) (recipe below)
3 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup frozen pearl onions thawed and drained
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons fresh tarragon leaves, coarsely chopped
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 350°.
- Heat the oil in an 8-quart Dutch oven or heavy-duty pot over medium heat.
- Add the prosciutto and cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp, about 5 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- If the pan is dry, add a little more oil.
- Season the chicken lightly on all sides with salt and pepper. Working in batches, brown the chicken on both sides, about 12 minutes total. Transfer to a plate.
- Turn the heat down to medium low.
- Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of fat from the pan and then add the shallots and garlic. Cook, stirring often, until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add the 3 tablespoons of the reserved marinade and cook, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan, until the liquid thickens, about 2 minutes.
- Add the broth, season lightly with salt and pepper, and bring to a boil.
- NOTE: ONLY USE THIS STEP IF USING BONE IN CHICKEN. Arrange the chicken in the pot, skin side up, return to a boil, and transfer the pot to the oven to braise, uncovered, until the chicken cooks through, about 25 minutes.
- Take the pot out of the oven.
- Turn the broiler on high.
- Transfer the chicken, skin side up, to a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet.
- Simmer the sauce in the pot over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until thickened and reduced by about half, about 10 minutes.
- Lower the heat to medium and stir in the onions and peaches; cooking until heated through.
- Stir in the butter until it melts, then stir in 1 tablespoon of the tarragon and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, broil the chicken until the skin is crisp, about 3 minutes.
- Return the chicken to the pot or transfer it to a large platter and spoon the sauce over it.
- Garnish with the prosciutto and the remaining tarragon leaves, and serve.
3 medium ripe peaches, pitted and sliced, diced, or cut into wedges
3 tablespoons avocado oil
2-1/2 tablespoons spiced dark rum (Captain Morgan)
2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
1-1/2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
Pinch kosher salt
Pinch granulated sugar
- Gently combine all of the ingredients in a medium bowl and let marinate at room temperature for at least 20 minutes and up to 24 hours.
- After marinating, you can refrigerate the peaches for up to 1 day.