FRENCH ONION PEPPER BACON SOUP
6 slices pepper bacon (I prefer fresh from the butcher), diced
3 large Vidalia onion, sliced thin
4 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups beef broth
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
Fresh ground salt and pepper
Sourdough Bread toasts or Baguette slices (I like thick pieces and extra for when those run out)
4 slices baby Swiss cheese
- Cook bacon in large dutch oven until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to drain on paper towels.
- Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon drippings.
- Add garlic, sauteing until fragrant.
- Add onions, cooking and stirring occasionally for 45 minutes until onions are golden and soft.
- Add bacon pieces, Worcestershire sauce and broth, blending well.
- Preheat oven to broil.
- Ladle into oven proof bowls.
- Place bowls on rimmed baking sheet.
- Top with bread wedges.
- Top with cheese.
- Broil 3-5 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly.