CARAMEL SHORTBREAD BARS
1 1/2-3/4 cup cake flour
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon sea salt
3 +/- tablespoon ice water
10 tablespoons COLD unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup honey*
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup butterscotch chips
2 teaspoons espresso powder
1 cup chopped and toasted macadamia nuts
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray 9x9 inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Using a metal blade food process the flour, powdered sugar and salt.
- Add butter pieces and pulse several times until dough resemble coarse bread crumbs.
- Add 3 tablespoons ice water and pulse until dough forms. You can add more ice water as necessary if dough is too dry.
- Press dough mixture into baking dish evenly.
- Bake 30 minutes or until golden and edges are beginning to pull away.
- Set aside to cool for 5-10 minutes.
- While the crust is baking add the coconut milk, brown sugar and honey to a medium saucepan over medium-high heat stirring well to dissolve sugar. Bring to a SLOW boil and continue boiling until mixture darkens and reduces by half (7-10 minutes). Set aside to cool.
- Sprinkle chocolate and butterscotch chips over crust evenly.
- Sprinkle espresso powder evenly over chips.
- Sprinkle macadamia nut pieces evenly on top.
- Drizzle caramel mixture evenly over top.
- Return to the oven for 15 minutes until golden brown and bubbling.
- Remove from oven and run a knife all around the edges.
- Cool on rack 15 minutes.
- Cover and move to the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Cut into bars.
- Keep refrigerated.
Tamy, those look like quite a treat -- one that could become addictive, I'm sure!ReplyDelete
Thanks - they are quite rich and so we're taking small bites!Delete