Grams made this as a broccoli casserole for years and I recently converted it to include carrots (I love the color combo) and removed the yucky for you condensed soup and rice. Tonight we had it with some of the best smoked pork chops I have ever eaten. Thank you Nickabob's Outpost!
RITZY CARROT & BROCCOLI CASSEROLE
1 tablespoon sugar
6 broccoli crowns, washed and trimmed into 2 inch pieces (stalks also)
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 Jumbo eggs
1 small Vidalia onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese**
salt and pepper to taste
4 tablespoons butter
1 1/3 cups ritz cracker crumbs**
4 tablespoons Wondra
1 KNORR chicken gel bouillon cube
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup buttermilk
salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Steam broccoli and carrots until JUST tender.
- Drain well, cool slightly and toss with carrots and onions.
- Whisk together the bouillon gel, water, egg, mayonnaise and buttermilk.
- Melt butter in bottom of saucepan. Whisk in the flour until smooth.
- Whisk in mayonnaise mixture, simmering until thickens.
- Pour over broccoli and carrots, folding until well coated.
- Spread into a greased 9x9 baking dish.
- Top with cracker crumbs.
- Cover and bake 40 minutes.
- Top with cheese and bake uncovered an additional 10 minutes.
- Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving.