adapted from TasteofHome.com
3 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
8 slices sourdough bread
4 slices provolone cheese
4 slices extra sharp cheddar cheese
4 slices mozzarella cheese
2 tablespoons Classico sun dried tomato pesto
1 clove garlic, minced
salt and pepper to taste
1 JUMBO egg, beaten
1 cup whole milk
1/2 +/- cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Spread butter on 4 slices of bread.
- Place in baking dish butter side down.
- Spread cream cheese on top side.
- Add 1 slice of each cheese on top of cream cheese.
- Butter the 4 other pieces of bread and place butter side up on sandwiches.
- In a small saucepan whisk together the tomato pesto, garlic, salt and pepper until well combined.
- Over medium high heat add milk gradually, whisking until well blended.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5 or so minutes until begins to thicken.
- Pour a small amount of the tomato mixture into the beaten egg to begin with (do it too fast and egg will curdle) whisking constantly until well blended. Gradually add remaining tomato mixture, whisking constantly.
- Pour over sandwiches.
- Top with half of shredded cheese.
- Bake 15 minutes, flip and top with remaining cheese and bake another 15 minutes or until golden brown.