This cake was amazing! It doesn't rise a lot and is almost torte like, but the cake is light and fluffy. It is super rich and makes it's own icing! It is best served warm. I can also see a bunch of variations such as espresso powder, white chocolate...
CHOCOLATE UPSIDE DOWN CAKE
1 1/4 cups cake flour
3/4 cups sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 ounce square bittersweet chocolate
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup broken nut meats (I used HEATH English Toffee Bits)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Melt together the butter and chocolate together until smooth.
- Fold together the chocolate mixture into the flour mixture with the nut meats.
- Pour into a well greased deep 9 inch baking pan.
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
- Mix together the cocoa, sugar and brown sugar until well blended.
- Sprinkle over cake evenly.
- Pour boiling water slowly over the sugar layer.
- Bake 1 hour.
- Cool 5 minutes.
- Invert carefully to serving platter.