Nabisco began mass producing them in 1945 as Vanilla Wafers before they trademarked them as Nilla Wafers in the 1960's.
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup shortening (I've used both Crisco and butter)
1 large egg
1 teaspoon PURE Vanilla
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups cake flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Cream together sugars, shortening, egg, vanilla and salt in a large bowl.
- Add the flour and baking powder.
- Add water and continue mixing until dough forms a ball.
- Roll dough into 3/4" balls and flatten slightly onto a lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until cookies are a light brown.