Juice of 6 lemons
1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
2 pounds sugar
1/2 cup butter, cut into small cubes
6 eggs, beaten
- In a large saucepan combine lemon juice, lemon peel and sugar.
- Mix until sugar dissolves.
- Add the butter and eggs.
- Simmer over low heat, stirring constantly, until it begins to thicken, about 10 minutes.
- Pour into sterilized pint jars.
- Store in refrigerator. BE SURE IT IS COVERED TIGHTLY as it will darken with oxidation.
- Mixture will thicken as it cools.
It is great on scones! If your looking for an easy and good scone recipe, head on over to Full Bellies, Happy Kids. But it also good as a cake or tart filling.
Makes 2 pints ~ Makes a great holiday basket gift.