Filling ingredients for Cheesecake (see recipe below)3 tablespoons maraschino cherry juice
For Pineapple Upside-Down Cake2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
6 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup butter, softened, plus 1/2 cup, melted
2 1/4 cups sugar
5 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 tablespoons Malibu coconut or pineapple rum
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
1 1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
Two 20-ounce cans pineapple slices in juice, drained well
Cheesecake Factory Pineapple Upside-Down Cheesecake Recipe
Make the Cheesecake Filling
- Make the cheesecake filling as directed below.
- Pour batter into the springform pan and slowly drizzle maraschino cherry juice on top; Use a knife to swirl cherry juice into the batter.
- Cook the cheesecake according to the directions outlined in the original recipe.
- Cover and place in the refrigerator to cool for 4 hours so.
Make the Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit; Spray two 9-inch round cake pans with nonstick cooking spray and cover with flour.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat the softened butter until creamy. Gradually add sugar and beat until fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, and beat well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla and rum and set aside.
- Combine flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt. Add the flour mixture into the egg mixture alternately with the buttermilk.
- Place ¾ cup brown sugar into each pan. Pour ¼ cup melted butter over the brown sugar. Arrange the pineapple slices over the brown sugar.
- Pour equal amounts of batter over the pineapple and bake for about 40-45 minutes. The cakes are done when a toothpick inserted in center of the cakes comes out clean. #Remove cakes from the oven and allow them to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Invert the cakes onto wire racks to cool completely.
Assembling the Cake
- Place one layer of pineapple upside-down cake on a serving platter.
- Carefully place the cheesecake layer on top of the pineapple upside-down cake and top with the second pineapple upside-down cake layer.
- Cut cheesecake into slices and serve garnished with fresh whipped cream.
Original Cheesecake Factory Cheesecake Ingredients
2 pounds full-fat cream cheese, warmed to room temperature
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 cup sour cream, warmed to room temperature
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Heat the oven to 475 degrees
- Set a large shallow pan or skillet filled with 1/2-inch of water into the oven. The cheesecake pan should be able to fit inside easily.
- In a large bowl, mix the graham crackers, nuts, and cinnamon.
- Slowly pour in the butter. Mix with hands to distribute butter evenly.
- Wrap aluminum foil around the bottom of a greased, 9-inch springform pan (to prevent leakage from the water bath).
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese with an electric mixer on low speed.
- Gradually beat in the sugar, eggs, sour cream, flour, vanilla and lemon juice.
- When mixture is blended, pour it into the springform pan.
- Place the cheesecake pan into the water bath in the oven.
CARAMEL SAUCE1/2 cup heavy cream
4 tablespoons butter, softened
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
3/4 cup sugar
2+ tablespoons water
- Combine the cream and butter in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer, stirring frequently to prevent scorching. Remove from the heat.
- In a medium saucepan cook the corn syrup over a medium heat until bubbly. Fold in 1/4 cup of the sugar and continue to cook until the edges begin to turn a light amber color. Add in 1/4 cup sugar more and repeat until all the sugar is blended in. Continue cooking until amber color darkens stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat and carefully fold in the cream mixture.
- Cook over medium heat stirring frequently until caramel is bubbling.
- Serve warm.
- Makes 1 1/2 cups. Refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
- Microwave20-30 seconds to soften refrigerated caramel before serving.