Grams made this as a broccoli casserole for years and I recently converted it to include carrots (I love the color combo) and removed the yucky for you condensed soup.
4 medium carrots
2/3 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
3 tablespoons butter
- Wash, peel and slice carrots diagonally.
- In a saucepan combine the water, salt and sugar.
- Add carrots. Bring to a boil.
- Turn down heat to simmer and cook until JUST tender crisp.
- Toss with butter and cinnamon.
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 Jumbo egg
1 small Vidalia onion, chopped
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste
4 tablespoons butter
1 1/3 cups ritz cracker crumbs**
4 tablespoon flour
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook broccoli in boiling, salted water or steam until JUST tender.
- Drain well, cool slightly and toss with carrots and onions.
- Layer into a greased 9x9 baking dish.
- Top with cracker crumbs.
- Melt butter in bottom of saucepan. Whisk in the flour until smooth.
- Add the chicken broth, milk, mayonnaise and egg, whisking until smooth.
- Pour over broccoli mixture.
- Cover and bake 40 minutes.
- Top with cheese and bake uncovered an additional 10 minutes.
- Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving.
Post a Comment
Thanks for stopping by. Please leave your ingredients for this recipe we call life!