This is another 1930’s-40’s recipe box find written in a stenographer’s shorthand and old cursive on old yellowed scrap paper. It took me a bit to decipher it, but it was well worth it. 😀
TOMATO SCALLOPED POTATOES
1/2 cup chopped onion I used 2 shallots
2 tablespoons butter I used herbed butter
2 tablespoons flour I used WONDRA which is extra fine
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon salt I used FRESH ground, to taste
1/8 teaspoon pepper I used FRESH ground, to taste
1 cup water I used chicken broth
8 ounce can diced tomatoes I used a 14 ounce can
2 chicken bouillon cubes I only used 1 since I was using broth
5 cups peeled sliced potatoes I used tricolor baby potatoes
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions and saute 2-3 minutes until soft.
- Sprinkle with flour, paprika, salt and pepper, blending well.
- Add water, tomatoes and bouillon cubes, simmering over medium heat until thickens.
- Spray 2 quart casserole with non-stick spray.
- Layer 2/3 of the potatoes loosely on the bottom
- Sprinkle with a fine flour and some FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper.
- Top with half of the tomato mixture followed by the layer of thin baby Swiss cheese slices.
- Follow with remaining tomato sauce mixture over top.
- Bake 1 hour or until cooked through and tender.
- I have made a few changes that are indicated in red above and find they are tastier than ever.
- I also use herbed butter cubes for additional flavor, usually rosemary or tarragon.
- I also added a layer of ULTRA thin sliced baby Swiss cheese under the last layer of potatoes.