ORANGE CHILE CHICKEN
1/2 cup oyster sauce
1/2 cup sugar
3 ounces orange juice
3 ounces rice wine vinegar (unseasoned)
1 tablespoon cornstarch, mixed into the rice wine vinegar as a slurry
2 tablespoons BRAGG’S liquid aminos
1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons sweet paprika
1 drop red food coloring, optional
- Add the oyster sauce, sugar, orange juice, vinegar-cornstarch slurry, liquid aminos, hoisin sauce, paprika and food coloring into a 1-quart saucepan, bring the heat up to medium.
- Whisk gently as it comes to a simmer.
- Allow to simmer, keep whisking for about 5 minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Remove from heat and reserve.
1 1/2 quarts neutral oil, for deep frying
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
2 1/2 cups tempura flour
- Heat the oil in a 4-quart Dutch oven to 375°.
- Rinse the chicken in cold water and pat dry.
- Sprinkle 1 cup tempura flour over the chicken cubes and toss to lightly dredge, shaking off the excess.
- Mix the remaining 1 1/2 cups of tempura flour with 1 cup cold water to make a thin batter, it should look like pancake batter.
- Coat dredged chicken pieces in batter.
- Fry in batches until golden brown and crispy, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels.
2 tablespoons neutral oil, I use avocado
3-4 cloves minced garlic
1 1/2 teaspoons minced, peeled fresh ginger
Fried chicken pieces, from above
2 to 3 scallions, cut on the bias into 2-inch lengths
1/2 yellow onion, cut into large dice
Orange Chicken Sauce, from above
Fried Rice, recipe follows, or steamed rice, for serving
- Heat a large skillet to high and add the oil.
- When you see the first wisps of white smoke, stir in the garlic, ginger and chicken pieces, cooking and stirring for about 30 seconds.
- Add the scallions, onion and reserved sauce turning to coat and simmer to heat through, about 2 minutes.
- Serve over chow mien or fried rice or steamed rice.
Post a Comment
Thanks for stopping by. Please leave your ingredients for this recipe we call life!